A Sermon on Witchcraft
Key Text: Numbers 23:23
Israel is a state that lives in a precarious position. They are completely surrounded by enemy nations. They have Egypt to the south and Syria to the north. To the East they have Jordan and Lebanon to the north-west. Within the same region, to the north-east there is Iran. Much closer to home besides and in Israel are Palestinians. All these are Islamic states that are opposed to the existence of the State of Israel as we know it today.
Given such a situation, security is of paramount importance to Israel. They have countless potential threats everyday and nothing is taken for granted. One mishap could have devastating consequences. For stronger security, Israel has deployed an anti-rocket defence system called the Iron Dome. It detects missiles, calculates their speed and trajectory before launching counter missiles to destroy them. Thousands of enemy missiles have been intercepted this way since the system’s deployment in 2012. There are people alive today, who otherwise would be dead, thanks to this technologically advanced defence system.
- Sometimes, like the State of Israel, we too feel vulnerable and as if surrounded by spiritual enemies. People around and within our families who might have the powers to unleash malevolent spiritual forces to cause harm. We feel powerless in the face of such forces. The good news, however, is that God has His own Iron Dome (defence system) against such attacks aimed at His children.
- With regards to the subject of witchcraft, Mark Twain is credited with having once said that there are two ways to make the devil happy. On the one hand, there are those who deny the working of evil spiritual forces as superstitious beliefs of unenlightened minds. On the other hand, there are those who take an unhealthy interest in such powers as to want to possess and manipulate them for their own ends. Either way, the devil is pleased.
- The Bible does not deny, but rather acknowledges the existence of evil spirits that are hostile (Eph. 6:12).
- Though not approved, witchcraft is acknowledged in the Bible (Deut. 18:10; 2 Chron. 33:6; Mic. 5:12; Gal. 5:20).
- Sensing the reality of evil powers in their lives, many people desperately try fighting witchcraft with witchcraft
- There is a better way:
- God protected Israel when Balak hired Balaam to curse them (Numbers 22 – 24).
- God protected Elisha when night enemies came for him (2 Kgs. 6:15-17)
- The angel of the Lord encamps around His saints (Ps. 34:7)
- All these examples show that there is an Iron Dome provided by heaven to protect all those who put their trust and confidence in Him.
- Witchcraft is real, but so is God.
- What experiences and, or fears do you have about this subject?
- All those who put their trust in God are given assurance that He keeps them protected, night and day (Ps. 91:9-13)
- Israel’s Iron Dome might experience technical failures, but God, who watches over you and I, neither sleeps nor slumbers (Ps. 121).
- What a joy to entrust our lives, jobs, marriages, health, plans and all into the care of the One who loves us so dearly.
- Is it your desire to trust in none else, but Jesus and the security only He provides?
PRAYER: Dear Lord, there are many things to frighten and intimidate me in the spiritual realms. I cannot protect myself and those I love. Dear Lord, be my sword and shield. Keep me protected through your holy angels. Amen!